The National Emergency Management Organisation (NEMO) said on Thursday after the tropical storm warning for St. Vincent and the Grenadines was discontinued and the all clear given, that schools across SVG will remain closed for the rest of the week, until Monday.
On Wednesday, some 88 persons have moved into emergency shelters across St. Vincent and the Grenadines, while that number greatly rose to 462 by yesterday Thursday 29th September 2016. Business operations returned to normal today Friday, but school will not reopen until Monday. Michelle Forbes, deputy director of NEMO, said Thursday evening that the tropical storm warning for SVG was discontinued at 8 a.m. and the all clear was issued three hours later.
A teenage boy is dead after being crushed by a boulder as Tropical Storm Matthew passed St. Vincent and the Grenadines last night.
According to local media reports, the secondary school student, whose name has not yet been released, was trying to remove debris behind his home, to clear a path for water that was flooding the house in Layou, a small town in the southwestern parish of St. Andrew. But a boulder rolled down from the nearby cliff as he was doing so, and he was pinned against the house.
Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, who is in Barbados, called in on the state-owned National Broadcasting Corporation late last night and expressed sympathy to the boy’s family.
He also assured that his government would assist those who needed help in the aftermath of the storm.
Prime Minister Gonsalves said that the government will ensure that the relief effort after the passage of Tropical Storm Matthew goes well. He noted that he was in touch with Prime Minister (AG), the Hon. Montgomery Daniel and other members of Cabinet, as well as Prime Minister Roosevelt Skeritt of the Commonwealth of Dominica.
Dr. Gonsalves has been struck in Barbados in Tuesday as he tried to return home from meetings in the United States and Puerto Rico last week, according to iWitness News.
Tropical Storm Matthew battered St. Vincent and the Grenadines with heavy rains and winds during the night.
According to I Witness News SVG, one person has been confirmed dead and one person. a 68-year-old man of Trigger Ridge was hospitalised and was later discharged." Deputy Director NEMO, Michelle Forbes said, Kenron Samuel Elijah Antoine. 16, died Wednesday night when a large boulder pinned him against the outer wall of the house where he and his mother live in Betromy, Layou.
His mother said he had gone outside against her advice, to make a path for rainwater that had begun to make its way into the house. 'The Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment has provided counselling for the family of the deceased young man in Layou."
Prime Minister Hon. Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, following the All Clear on Thursday 29th, visited shelters and homes across the country to assess the damages caused by the then Tropical Storm Matthew. Preliminary reports on the impacts of the Tropical Storm Mathew revealed that some 462 persons (177 children and 285 adults) are residents of Emergency Shelters.
After just over 24 hours as a storm, Matthew has been upgraded to a hurricane. The National Hurricane Centre (NHC) in Miami said at 2 p.m. that Hurricane Matthew had achieved maximum sustained winds of 75 miles per hour.
According to Caribbean 360 News, Hurricane Matthew is on its way west through the Caribbean. While there is still some uncertainty, the Weather Channel said impacts could begin in Jamaica and Hispañola – particularly Haiti – as soon as Sunday night, and in eastern Cuba next Monday.
Matthew is likely to begin impacting parts of the central or southeast Bahamas by Tuesday.
Meanwhile, Regional Airline LIAT resumed its normal operating schedule yesterday, but advised that some of its services will be delayed.
Although the weather conditions have improved, LIAT said some areas in the network are still being impacted by wind gusts which are affecting our operation.
The airline said it regrets any inconvenience caused as a result of these conditions, and announced that flights LI 527 and LI 650 for today were cancelled:
Customers affected by the disruptions who wish to rebook for a later date will be allowed to do so without change fees or fare differences for a period of two weeks from the date of their original scheduled travel.
Following the two-week grace period, passengers will be required to pay applicable fare and change fees when re-booking.
Passengers with onward connections on other Airlines are advised to contact the respective carriers.
We offer the best, yet most affordable business; Individual support and publishing services.